V6 F-Body.com

V6 F-Body.com (http://www.v6f-body.com/index.php)
-   Internal Engine (http://www.v6f-body.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   3.8 Spun Bearing issues? (http://www.v6f-body.com/showthread.php?t=2250)

freakv6 03-26-2010 09:33 AM

3.8 Spun Bearing issues?

Very common problem with our motors if they sit for a long time. Its explained well here.

http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...2&postcount=11

Quote:

FlyinGTP
the bypass becomes a problem when a couple of things happen. 1st if you plan to mod the car this is a must mod. In most cases a stock car will be fine with out it. Cars that it usually causes problems on are the ones that have a lot of miles , car that have lost an engine (the valve hangs open from bearing material) and people who shim the spring and plunger in the front cover.

The reason to port it is because there is a ton of casting junk and the gasket over hangs and restricts oil flow. these motors have enough oil flow issues as is we don't need to add to it. because this is a cast piece there are some variances when compared in other words some filter housings maybe a bit better then other. but in the long run they all need to be done.

If the bypass valve hangs or opens it allow unfiltered oil to the mains and will kill the bearings in about 30 seconds because of contaminants. The valve by design just pushes open. Its design to prevent a plugged filter however if you have a plugged filter you have other issues to address first. It was designed to work with stock oil pressure in stock operating parameters.

Just because it has survived 135,000 or how many miles in a nearly stock engine doesn't mean that it will continue good service in a now modified engine. Frankly the people who try and make big power with the oil system stock have been lucky plain and simple to some degree. why do you think these motors just spin number 3 and number 4 rod bearings with no explanation its do to oil issues. There are many oiling issues with this block that should be addressed if you want to have a high power motor that isn't always breaking.

The main reason you have heard about issues is because most people don't know what caused there motor to fail and loose the bearings. in most cases you will see a post like i spun a bearing time for a rebuild or a jy motor. While that gets you back on the road you will eventually have an issues again. Sometimes a bottom end failure is pretty odvious. but in most cases its a spun bearing with no other signs of damage and people right it off as it was time or something. It was causes by poor oiling. if you fix the poor oiling you fix the unexplained bearing failure.

the mod itself to remove the bypass is a bit tricky. You need to take your time to do it correctly. the reason for this is because its thin aluminum. you also need to slightly open the bypass bore up and for the tap to fit nice and square in the bore. You can't over tap it either or the housing is junk. Also the stock valve is tricky to get out as well.

People who have pm'd me about this i've given two options. 1. send it to me i will work it over and i'm going to charge 75 bucks plus the shipping which is like 8 bucks to work the whole housing over(its more for my time to do this because this isn't a 10 minute project). 2. I will give step by step instructions on how to do it. and to be very careful not to ruin the housing. I stress that a lot if you haven't noticed. If you don't feel capable of modding the housing yourself and you don't have the 83 bucks to have the housing modded you probably shouldn't have a heads and cam motor to begin with. People tend to not mod the oil system because they don't seen gains from it via a hp number. a good oiling system means good reliabilty.

This mod is for longetivety of the motor. It isn't going to make you faster. In fact if it does its job correctly you won't even know its there. The point of this is to protect the bottom end and keep it from getting damaged.

This is the first of many oiling mods that should be done to these motors.

Bonemaro 03-26-2010 09:35 AM

Speaking from experience, are ya?

Is this something that someone like me who drives 50 miles every day need not worry about?

freakv6 03-26-2010 09:41 AM

Honestly probably not. however with its poor desgin it is resticting oil flow even in working state. it defienetly can help increase the longevity of the motor. i pm'd him for details on the mod, gonna post them up when i get them.

Bonemaro 03-26-2010 09:42 AM

Great idea sir. You are gonna make general one day!

caspernicus 03-26-2010 10:18 AM

He plugged and ported my current filter housing. He definately
knows these motors very well.

freakv6 03-29-2010 09:13 AM

Unfortunetly he is no longer giving out the info on how to do it. He says the aluminum is to thin and he doesnt want to risk anyone messing it up. He does the work for $45 and $8 bucks shipping. You can contact him on ftv6, his name on there is flyingtp.

Bonemaro 03-29-2010 09:17 AM

What do we have to send to him?

freakv6 03-29-2010 09:21 AM

the filter housing itself. if you pm him with your model he will tell you exactly which ones are interchangeable if you would like to pick one up to a junkyard for no downtime.

Bonemaro 03-29-2010 09:24 AM

Easy to remove and replace?

freakv6 03-29-2010 09:47 AM

yea its not bad at all, right on the front of the motor.