Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Technical Discussion > Steering/Suspension/Braking/Tires
Steering/Suspension/Braking/Tires Rack and Pinion Tie Rods | LCA's | Springs | Shocks | PHR's | Sway Bars | ABS | Rubbers

Old 12-21-2017, 01:39 PM

Default Coilovers

I can't find a good cheap seat of coilovers for my 2002 firebird I tried everywhere I can think of every set I find is ridiculously priced 600 for a front set not including a rear seat does anyone know where I can get some good cheap coilovers

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2017, 11:31 AM
Droner
LS PLUS Supporting Membership
Administrator

are you wanting to adjust the height or just lower it? A set of eibach lowering springs are about 300 or less. I'm running Eibach prokit and kyb adjustable shocks. These shocks are pretty high for what you are looking for but you can using whatever shocks you like.

What is the reason for wanting coilovers?

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"
Old 12-22-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpbr2000 View Post
are you wanting to adjust the height or just lower it? A set of eibach lowering springs are about 300 or less. I'm running Eibach prokit and kyb adjustable shocks. These shocks are pretty high for what you are looking for but you can using whatever shocks you like.

What is the reason for wanting coilovers?
Well I was thinking about lowering springs but my friend had some and he hit a bump and bounced up and the spring popped out

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Droner
LS PLUS Supporting Membership
Administrator

if you are dukes of hazzard maybe. But no, I've never had that happen on my car. I've driven over some rough roads.

The front physically can't fall out. its sandwiched on the shock. the rear might be able to but i've had the rear up in the air multiple times and the suspension completely down. and the springs are not loose. I doubt i'd be able to pull them out by force without breaking something.

I honestly think there was something else wrong or the car that it was didn't like the setup. lowering spring are the same size as stockers (at least my eibach are) the compression height is different. I can't say what caused your friends problem but if you buy a set of lowering springs from eibach, koni, strano, and a few others brands they will fit without any issues. I'd search for reviews on forums such as ls1tech and other v8 camaro 4th gen sites. it will give you a nonbias review, most of the time.

the reason i say v8 is because there are many more people modding v8s, and the springs are the same because the ls1 is alum, and out 3800 is iron. so the weight is the same. you will see that most people dont have v6 specific springs for this reason

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"

Last edited by xpbr2000; 12-22-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:06 PM
Joe_User

I had a buddy years ago with a 4th gen bird where the spring fell out and he rolled the car. His springs were improperly cut though and not specific lowered springs.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:00 AM

Cheap and coil over don't go together in the same sentence unfortunately.

I've had Intrax drop springs in my thirdgen for over 3 years or so now with no issues.

Don't cheap on suspension if you don't want parts to fall off hitting that GTA5 ramp.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2017, 11:04 AM
Joe_User

I had 2 inch H&R drops in the Bone since 2006 or so.

Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Technical Discussion > Steering/Suspension/Braking/Tires