Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Rides, Modifications & Racing > Showcase
Showcase A forum dedicated completely to exhibition of your mods!

Old 07-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Back in Black

Default Back in Black

So glad to be back here sort of officially. I hated the import community. I used to wave at "fellow" modded imports and get stared at like I stole their girlfriend. Drove by a firebird in my Camaro yesterday and he waved at me. Thats the sort of "brotherhood" im used to. Never found a helpful forum the entire time I owned my Jetta either.

Here I have a 1989 (Built 11/88) Camaro RS with a 305ci (5.0) V8, with a 700R4 Automatic Transmission; 97,000 miles on the odometer.

TO DO LIST (in no particular order)

Clean up engine bay
Paint valve covers and exhaust
Install edelbrock performer intake
Install polyurethane motor mounts
Replace tensioner pulley
Replace water pump
Install custom chip
Full tune up
Replace differential cover,gasket, and fluid

Last edited by Video; 09-26-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Now back to the good part.
Forum Owner

Ah, the beloved 3rd gen. So boxy, yet so cool. I likez it.

My 2000 Camaro SS/RS Wannabe. Proud non-member of PHK
Old 07-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Back in Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonemaro View Post
Ah, the beloved 3rd gen. So boxy, yet so cool. I likez it.
Indeed. I like them more than 4th gens now. I was looking at both and i kept getting drawn to the 3rd gens...dont know why. But hey theyre antiques now!
Old 07-14-2014, 11:42 PM

SOCOOL
Old 07-15-2014, 02:53 AM
LTZ Turbo

Again nice ride
Old 07-15-2014, 03:33 AM

What sucks is that you have my dream Camaro, but I'd want the T Tops. I've always liked the 3rd gen more than the 4th gen (mostly because the 3rd gen's engine bay doesn't have the engine halfway in the firewall).

Regardless, that's one beautiful car and congrats on the find. I've never had a modded import so idk how that goes but I do get a lot of looks in my Cutlass Supreme vert and a lot of questions soo yeah. That's that.

You didn't find VWVortex helpful at all?
Old 07-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Back in Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
What sucks is that you have my dream Camaro, but I'd want the T Tops. I've always liked the 3rd gen more than the 4th gen (mostly because the 3rd gen's engine bay doesn't have the engine halfway in the firewall).

Regardless, that's one beautiful car and congrats on the find. I've never had a modded import so idk how that goes but I do get a lot of looks in my Cutlass Supreme vert and a lot of questions soo yeah. That's that.

You didn't find VWVortex helpful at all?
I got harassed SO much on vwvortex it was a joke. I think the average age on there was 18 which would explain it. I gave them so many chances to try to help me, i asked basic questions and literally got shit on for everything. Worst forum ive ever been on. I was very offended and suprised i posted as much as i did.

It was so bad i checked back recently the moderators had to post a sticky thread to tell people to chill the hell out because it was getting so bad.

In any case thanks a lot. I feel very lucky but my anxiety is through the roof because i so badly want to spend a day with it to wet sand and buff the paint and detail it and just spend some time with it, but i have no time recently. All this thing needs to be show quality is a wet sand/buff and clean the engine bay and its a perfect candidate for some charity car shows. Not gonna win anything but ive gotten thumbs up already and i havnt even fixed the paint

Last edited by Video; 07-15-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:53 PM
Back in Black

I dont know why I keep telling myself Im gonna leave a car stock...and then I get bored.

First things first. Just to ease my modding anxiety I put on a Chrome Edelbrock air filter unit. Had to ditch the choke thingy that alters cold startup. There was a flap in the funnel portion of the intake that opens/closes based on temp. I believe it measures the temp of the manifold im not sure though. Doesnt matter it got ditched. I was able to drill a hole and keep the other temp sensor though as to not trip any service lights. So far I cant feel any performance increase but as any real 3rd gen owner knows the bottleneck lies in the exhaust. However it sounds different during WOT. Ill be getting matching valve covers.

The manifolds are puny and the y pipe and cat are terrible. So a full exhaust will be the big mod for this car and thats about it for big performance stuff.

Before any of that happens I need to flush the coolant out and replace with the green stuff. I have the typical rusty water from the dex turning acidic. Itll get a new thermostat and chrome thermostat housing while im at it.

I dont think this TBI setup has a traditional inline fuel filter. Already cleaned out the throttle body. The intake i most likely clean because the fuel shoots through the throttle body itself.

AC Compressor needs to get replaced. My son needs a nice cool car to ride in during the summer so this is no exception. A new compressor costs 180. Its not that hard to replace i might as well. Going to replace the serpentine belt and tensioner assembly/pulley while im at it i think its making a little noise as well as the compressor.

As for visuals I really want to get a cowl hood. Found on for 405 shipping included. Steel direct fit, might keep it with the flat black coating for a dirty look.

Heres the current shopping list. Ill update the list as I go:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/16829/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/93456/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker+Headers...460-2/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker+Headers/520/16767/10002/-1

Last edited by Video; 07-31-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Back in Black

Debating on deleting the AC or replacing the compressor. Any opinions? Im thinking ill go for it to save some weight and comfort isnt much of a variable. If i do remove it they sell replacement boxes to cover the big hole in the engine compartment.

Sundays are going to be my official day to work on my car. This sunday ill be Flushing the coolant and using green, installing a new thermostat and housing, and hopefully finishing buffing my car which has been way over due.

Last edited by Video; 08-04-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Droner
LS PLUS Supporting Membership
Administrator

id say keep it but i live in MS. there is no way you would live without AC... and not be miserable.

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"

Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Rides, Modifications & Racing > Showcase