Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Technical Discussion > Appearance
Appearance Body | Spoilers | Hoods | Wheels | Paint | Polish | Interior | Gauges

Old 03-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Ghost Patrol
LS PLUS Supporting Membership

Im definitely gonna try this on a few dents in my rear fenders if Knocking them out from the inside doesnt work.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:49 PM

are the rear quarter pannels easily replaced in these cars? because i bought mine with bubbling and a little rust in the drivers side rear quarter pannel and it would seem almost impossible to replicate the ridge that follows that wheel well if i was to do my own bodywork
Old 06-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Deemed: "Spray Can King"

You may be able to use some type of a round file or other random tool to try and get the ridge to continue if you have extensive work to be done in that area. Unfortunately the quarterpanels are the hardest panel to replace. It will require cutting (probably with a plasma cutter) the entire section or quarterpanel off a donor car as well as your car and then welding the donor panel to your car, grinding smooth all the welds, and prepping and painting the entire panel.

If all you're dealing with is minor bubbling and rust though, chances are all you'll need to do is sand the area to get rid of the bubbling paint and sand down to bare metal. More than likely you'll never be able to tell you even touched it, and if you need any body filler at all, it will be an extremely thin top coat which shouldn't affect the ridge. If the rust goes through the metal however, you may need to replace the section or try to fix the area with fiberglass which is considerably harder to work with.

Last edited by TheGr8Schlotzky; 06-21-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Droner
Administrator

Hey, Ive just sprayed my base coat and it seems that I either under estimated the amount of paint/coats that is needed or i maybe spraying them too close together, but it isn't getting dark enough in that some area's are not covering the primer very well. I've shaken the can very well 2-3min. its the Med. Quasar Blue Metalic and i tested it on a piece of card board and it seemed to be very close.(it was hard to say from a piece of cardboard) i ran out of daylight and paint. going to get a few more cans and resume hopefully getting the area covered and dark enough. any thoughts.

Btw: this thread rocks! that a million!

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"
Old 02-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Deemed: "Spray Can King"

Different paints cover differently. Especially bright metallic colors seem to be on the translucent side and require more coats than solid colors. Keep the coats light and keep coating until it's thoroughly covered is all I can really say. Don't get irritated and try for heavier coats as what will likely happen is you'll get runs and have to sand down and start over completely.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Droner
Administrator

Thanks, I will proceed as instructed.

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"

Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Technical Discussion > Appearance