Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Technical Discussion > Appearance
Appearance Body | Spoilers | Hoods | Wheels | Paint | Polish | Interior | Gauges

Old 03-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Now back to the good part.
Forum Owner

Default Interior LED Swap for 97-02 Camaros

In this thread, we will be discussing how to replace your interior lights, HVAC and instrument cluster lights with high quality, super bright LED's from Super Bright LEDs. Please note that this is for a manual 97-02 Camaro. I believe the automatic may have additional lighting for the shifter. There are also a few other lights in the interior (doors, headlight switch) which I chose not to replace. If you decide to do these, the process will be similar. Just look up the LEDS you need HERE.

A word about Super Bright LEDS. These are some of the brightest LEDS on the market. I guarantee the lights I have listed below will light up your interior very well. They cost a little more, but trust me, they are worth it. Want proof? Look at this. These are the little HVAC leds, eBay is on the left, Super Bright is on the right.

Another cool fact about these LEDs... they will dim with your dimmer switch.

Here's what you'll need:
  • (2) Map lights - 4410xHP12 LINK HERE (97-00, 01 & 02 see note below)
  • (1) Hatch light - Rigid Loop Festoon Bulb RL4410-xP9 LINK HERE
  • (10) Cluster, glove box and ash tray lights - WLED-xHP6 LINK HERE (order 12 if converting 2001 or 2002 map lights)
  • (2) HVAC lights - 74-xHP3 LINK HERE
  • (1) 3mm NEOWedge LED LINK HERE

NOTE: It was brought to my attention by a member with a 2001 Camaro that 2001 & 2002 cars have a different rear view mirror and use two of the WLED-xHP6 LEDs instead of the 4410xHP12 Festoon lights. Check this first before ordering.

Glove Box & Ash Tray Light: I'm not going to go into this, as it's pretty self explanatory. You simply replace the bulb with a WLED-xHP6 LED. Not rocket science. These bulbs are not polarized, so they will work if inserted in either direction.

Map Lights: Again, not hard to do. Pry off the plastic diffusers from the base of the rear view mirror. Pry carefully, as they are on there fairly tightly. I just used my pocket knife. Remove the factory bulbs and pop in the 4410xHP12 LEDs the same way. NOTE: these lights are polarized, so they will only work in one direction. Make contact with the lights and check to be sure they work before finishing up.

Rear Hatch Light: Pop the cover off the light and remove the factory bulb. I had an issue with this light. The loop that's on the RL4410-xP9 bulb was too narrow. I simply inserted the LED and slightly bent the contacts to hold it tight. You'll see what I mean. Pretty easy. I'll get a picture of it soon if anyone wants to see. It works fine. This bulb is also polarized and must be inserted in the correct direction.

HVAC Lights:

Start by removing the trim panel. Then remove the two bolts holding the HVAC unit in. On the top of this unit, you will see two twist plugs. Turn those and pull out the bulbs.

Now... I and many others I've spoke with have issue getting these bulbs out of the socket. I had to wrap the bulb in a paper towel and break it with my pliers. Then I took a little screw driver and chipped away at the glass until it all came out of the socket. This sounds bad, but it really wasn't. Just keep it on the paper towel to catch the glass pieces.

Insert the HP3 LEDs and twist back into the HVAC unit. These LEDs are not polarized and can be mounted in either direction.

Assemble in reverse.

Instrument Cluster Lights:

I'm going to borrow some pictures here, as I don't have my own yet (hope they don't mind).

To do the cluster lights, you will need 8 WLED-xHP6 LEDS of your color choice. I found that the 6 radial LEDS of the HP6 lit up the cluster more evenly than the HP5's. The HP5 has a forward mounted LED that causes a "hot spot" in my opinion.

Ok, start off by removing the 2 screws on top of the instrument bezel and remove the bezel itself.

I found that it was much easier to remove this once I remove the tilt wheel lever and the plastic cover just below the lever. The tilt level just unscrews counter-clockwise (mine was on there pretty tight) and the cover simply pops off. Careful with it though. Don't break the plastic clips when removing it.

Next, remove the clear plastic guard over the instruments. This is just held on by 4 tabs in the corners. Also remove the 4 bolts holding the entire cluster in.

Now, just pull straight back. The entire cluster plugs into the dash.

With this off, you will see 8 black screw caps, which house the bulbs. Using needle nosed pliers, turn them 1/4 turn counter-clockwise. Mine were a little tight to release, but not too bad. They came loose with a little snap. Pull out the 161 bulbs and replace it with an HP6s. These bulbs are not polarized and may be inserted either way.

Once all 8 LEDs are installed, reassemble in the reverse order. Make sure the needles for your gages are up and clear from the plastic cover and bezel as you put everything back together.

That's about all there is to it. Very simple; only took me about 30 minutes to do and as you can see, they look very cool.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

My 2000 Camaro SS/RS Wannabe. Proud non-member of PHK
Old 04-09-2010, 10:06 AM
The Smokin' Palm

Good write up, i will be doing this very soon.

|freakv6 12:21| bone will let people take his car out for joy rides at the g14
|Pace 12:22| I vote we take the freak out for some joyrides.
|freakv6 12:22| you can pace, then maybe you can drive the car afterwords
Old 04-09-2010, 11:06 AM
LTZ Turbo

not the best pic but here is the 3mm NEOWedge LED

Old 04-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Forum Owner

Ok... thanks Kris. That looks pretty straight forward.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Forum Owner

Anyone know anything about replacing the lights on the steering wheel controls? That would be cool as well.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:55 PM
LTZ Turbo

I believe ZexGX knows how http://www.fbodyonline.com/forum/members/1944.html
Old 04-11-2010, 09:37 PM
the stig's american cousin

i think i got some pics around here somewhere that i can add

1996 Camaro 3.8L - SOLD
2002 Lexus IS300
Old 04-12-2010, 12:33 AM
1998 3800 Camaro

I would like to say again.. those lights look awsome!!

Free ram air mod, Modified air lid, Pacesetter headers, Thrush glasspack, KYB rear shocks, RKsports ground effects kit.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:02 AM
The Smokin' Palm

Ordered all the ones i needed. will update with pics when its done.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:36 AM
The Smokin' Palm

I dont have quite the pic taking skills of bone. but mine turned out great. And thanks to Bone for some last second clarification on which bulbs go where.

Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Technical Discussion > Appearance