Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Rides, Modifications & Racing > Showcase
Showcase A forum dedicated completely to exhibition of your mods!

Old 11-09-2015, 10:20 AM

Default Will's turbo 3.4 build

UPDATED 9/25/18

Mostly finished with the bulk of information, will add more periodically.

Videos.
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCfCqaiwym-14VUW4m7LDCaw
Some good, some not. I can assure you the videos that look slow are most definitely not.

1989 Camaro RS 3.4L V6 700R4
No longer the unmolested 2.8. I finally killed it at about 360k miles. Now it's got a slightly molested 3.4. High energy pushrods, 1.6 roller tip rockers, and valve springs with 150# higher spring rate than the originals.

My theory is it will delay valve float till a later RPM compared to the stock valvetrain.

Walbro 255lph fuel pump. Stock pump maxed out around 300fwhp. Or so the internet says. Duty cycle was maxed.

Original molested 700R4 transmission with about $600 worth of goodies inside, from Pro-Built Automatics in Cali. Built myself with assistance from Dana (Pro-Built). Rebuilt at 304k miles.
B&M trans cooler after rad cooler in Silla all aluminum 2 core radiator.
Parts store s10 2500 stall converter with lockup.

(CURRENT TURBO)
Holset HX35W internal wastegate. Twin scroll t3 housing. Custom wastegate actuator for lower boost to use with electronic boost controller

(OLD TURBO)
T3 .48AR exhaust housing and wheel from 1985 Mercedes 300TD, center section and T4 .60AR coldside and 60trim (I think) wheel from a CS racing RX7 upgrade turbo.

Craptastic mild steel log turbo headers on the passenger side. Pacesetter header on the drivers side.

Full 3" Downpipe and 3" exhaust with a dump before the axle, and 4 bullets.

Secondhand Supra FMIC.

Megasquirt II Extra Standalone ECM. Fan control, Launch control, GM stepper IAC, EBC, WB02. Assembled by me.

Harness built by me.

Founders on car adjustable panhard and LCARBs. Intrax lowering springs.

Stock 16x8 IROC wheels with 245/50/16 and 255/50/16.

UPDATE: Finally rebuilt the torsen rear and put 3.73s and a cover brace along with carrier cap studs.

Below in parentheses is old

(Original 3.43 10bolt rear with aluminum drums. One Wheel Wonder.

UPDATE: No longer a one wheel wonder. Installed a Torsen 3.43 carrier and upgraded to 28 spline axles 01/29/16

UPDATE: Back to One Wheel Wonder status. Broke two pinion teeth off the original rear so an open 2.72 rear went in around July 2016.)

Tuned and built by me. (Well except for the Craptastic turbo headers).

This was a Daily Driver.
Now it's the project/toy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited by wchiarizzio; 09-25-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:22 AM

The car.

For me it started the moment I saw it at the used car lot. She looked pretty sad and needed some TLC, but was relatively cared for by the PO, aside from the paint.

Buy here pay here; $4k total. I bought her in 08 and had her paid for by 09. 180,000 on the clock, rolled over once. All original besides the double roller timing set (still trying to figure that one out.).

Had a slight misfire about 2 weeks after I bought her, turned out to be that double roller timing set; the chain was ridiculously stretched. Soon as I swapped it with a single tooth set the misfire went away and mileage improved. After that it was the typical bushing and bearing replacement all around, and a little paint for the hood to cover up the peeling clear coat. Also scored a set of 16x8 Pep Boys Proline Alloy wheels, traded the stock 15's for them.

I also removed the diffuser from the driving lights which made them considerably brighter, and cut new lenses for them using Lexan. Also resprayed the reflective coating. Installed a 92 Camaro grille and added expanded metal on the outside of it.

I then proceeded to prep the top above the pinstripe for temporary paint to cover what was left of the clearcoat. Its not proper by any means but it was only meant to protect whats left before its actually painted. Shaved the antenna and installed a hidden 12v antenna. Little boom boom just for me, cause I don't want everyone else to hear my music, a 12" Xplode sub and amp, Sony head unit. Blue LEDs in the interior and cluster. Grant steering wheel. Im sure I don't really have to mention everything as the interior isnt going to be finished along with the exterior until after engine and drivetrain are done.

I did however plastidip the rims as the coating wasnt the best. After awhile I needed more meat so I bought IROCs from my friend with 245's and 255's. Plastidipped those as well.

Courtesy of a friend I aquired a 92 2.72 open rear(for the higher spline count axles), Intrax lowering springs, Lcarbs and a B&M trans cooler. Bought the oncar adjustable panhard to go with the lowering springs.

Prior to that I got KYBs all the way around and new KYB strut mounts. MOOG front end rebuild.

After the turbo setup (more on that next post), the 302k 700R4 lasted pretty close to 2k more miles before the 3-4 clutch pack finally let go. After all, it was only a v6 transmission, and gave me no problems other then your typical leaks. It is an 87+ unit which IMO was the best one to build/modify because of the upgrades done after 87.

Transmission was a little toast. Still drove it in second until my other friend hooked me up with a free 3.4/700r4. It was an early 85 trans, so it sucked, randomly went in neutral, slipped to the moon, and had a GM 2500 stall in it.

It didn't let me down though and that high stall was damn sure fun with the turbo.

5-6 months later I recieved this expensive box.

Then proceeded to get to work with my "special tools".

Less than 16 total hours in the rebuild/build and she looked like this.

The transmission was FLAWLESS.

One afterthought though. When I discussed this trans build with Dana, I mentioned 10-12 psi tops. I wish I would have told him 25+ psi. But money was an issue at that point.

So I do have to do a few more upgrades, no big deal. I rebuilt the thing with no prior knowledge and an ATSG book.

That more or less covers all that nonsense; I'm getting tired lol.

Last edited by wchiarizzio; 11-12-2015 at 11:08 AM.

Turbonium.

New Turbo.
Holset HX35w

Old turbo below.

What started life as a Garrett (AiResearch back then) T3 turbo from a 1985 Mercedes 300TD; .48ar hotside and .50ar coldside with a 45 trim compressor wheel wound up turning into a .48ar hot T3 with a .60ar cold 60 trim T4 compressor. So its now a hybrid T3/T4.

Friend gave me the T4 turbo the coldside came off of. Had a 1.15ar divided exhaust housing.

20psi runs a little hot so im running 16psi for now.

Steel 270* thrust washer and new shaft and turbine. The first turbo was f*d when I got it, but it was masked by a rebuild.

Here is what I'm thinking. A T3/T4 feeding a T6 compound turbo setup.

Unnecessary amounts of boost sound like a great idea to me. The most money in this build will probably be all the ARP locking hardware.

Im thinking of sizing the turbo to run 35ish psi while near or at peak efficiency.

Last edited by wchiarizzio; 09-25-2018 at 11:20 PM.

ECM.

I chose to go with the Megasquirt standalone DIY kit and 12' harness. The board version is 3.0 (throughhole components), and I started with the MS1 cpu and ran the Extra firmware, which had more options and such.

All that you see was built by me, including the additional circuits for GM HEI, launch control, fan control, boost control, all the jumpers, etc. Above shows the MS1 cpu installed. Below is with the MS2 daughterboard and cpu installed. I upgraded to the MS2 cpu for more functionality and tuning resolution.

MS1 and 2 cpus

And a shot of my soldering.

And here is what the harness looked like during removal.

WARNING!!!! GRAPHIC HARNESS MOLESTATION!! LOL

A number of hours later and a base tune got me started and rolling.

Here is what my gauge dashboard looks like(old pic). Eventually a touchscreen will be in the dash.

So far the car has seen 20psi and 142mph (not in the 1/4), with more left in it; a bone stock Megasquirted turboed 2.8 with a half completed tune.
Yellow is PSI

Last edited by wchiarizzio; 11-22-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:27 AM
Droner
LS PLUS Supporting Membership
Administrator

ooooooooo

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"
Old 11-11-2015, 07:08 AM

Nice 3rd Gen build. Sounds like you have had a lot of fun with it over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2015, 10:31 AM

Thanks. Lots of blood, sweat and tears in this car. Its had its ups and downs but I'll never get rid of it; its not in the cards.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:57 AM
Droner
LS PLUS Supporting Membership
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchiarizzio View Post
Thanks. Lots of blood, sweat and tears in this car. Its had its ups and downs but I'll never get rid of it; its not in the cards.

I should add a team tag for this I'm the same way. it would take an unreasonably high offer for me to even consider it. even then i have to consider all the work i've done and the years i've owned it and ask myself if i want someone elses hands on this car because they'll just ruin it.

Team: "Not for Sale!"

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"
Old 11-12-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpbr2000 View Post
I should add a team tag for this I'm the same way. it would take an unreasonably high offer for me to even consider it. even then i have to consider all the work i've done and the years i've owned it and ask myself if i want someone elses hands on this car because they'll just ruin it.

Team: "Not for Sale!"
Amen brother!

I should have those other two posts populated in the next day or so.

Last edited by wchiarizzio; 11-12-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:17 AM

Here is what I did last night.

You now know why I hate these headers. They werent built by me but they are sure as sh!t welded by me by now!

These headers are the reason I started welding. The repair isnt pretty, but its gonna outlast the headers as they fail around it!

Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Rides, Modifications & Racing > Showcase