Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Technical Discussion > General Tech.
General Tech. All other questions or problems... If you're unsure, put it here!

Old 08-28-2008, 05:30 PM
The Smokin' Palm

I figured it would be a good idea go to ahead and get a good running list of known issues with our cars. Im going to list what i know, but am sure to be missing some. Please feel free to add.

**Window Motors- It is common for these to fail ( or just be slow as hell). The only thing you can do to fix these is to replace them (sometimes over and over again). Once its done the first time it is much easier their after.

**Cracked Door Panels- (only common to firebirds i believe). Both drivers and passenger side door panels are prone to cracking at the top right by the window. I do not know any current fix for this. (Inner panels only crack in the 97-up and typically only on leather interiors. There is no fix, it's just caused by heat and sun exposure causing the plastic to shrink and dry out. Only thing that could have been done was to keep them conditioned well, and tint your windows more back in the 90's and early 00's.)(http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...air/index.html)

**Bubbles in the paint on sail panel- This is caused from the adhesive used to attach the top sheet metal. Gas is release from this glue which rises up and out of the paint. Only known fix would be to completely remove the sheet and use a different adhesive.

**Harmonic Balancer Noise- (3.8 specific problem) A portion of the harmonic balancer is bad to dry rot, and cause what can sound like a knock in the engine. I hadn't heard of this until a similar sounds showed up on my car (though it turned out not to be this). Fix is just simply to replace it.

**Sludge in the Cooling System- This is very common due to the type of coolant used. Dex-cool. Sluding can happen for many reasons including; mixing it with the green coolant, any other type of liquid mixing with the dex-cool, not flushing the coolant often enough, etc. To fix, completly flush and clean the entire cooling system, then the best idea at this point is go go ahead and use a diffrent coolant.

**Cracked Upper Dash Panel by the air vent- Very common to Firebirds as well as Camaros. The only real fix to this is to get a new upper dash panel. (I'd like to specify, that you only need to replace the UPPER DASH PANEL when it cracks, it's $13x and some odd change from GM Parts Direct)

**De laminated/Faded Trans Am style Tail lights- The grid pattern on some trans am style tail lights will begin to turn from a dark black color to a dull gray. Only fix for this is to get new tail lights. I would assume that you could stop or slow the de-lamination if you used some silicone and sealed the edges most prone to the fading a little better.

**Elbow on the lower intake manifold that leaks coolant.

**Rear main seal oil leak.

**Random misfires that are usually caused by a bad coil pack or ICM.

**Firebird outer door skins are full fiberglass they are prone to cracking, typically crack because the weight of the door loosens the hinges causing premature stress on both the outer door skin and the rocker panel. Only fix is to replace the outer skin, or reinforce it. Prevent it by keeping your hinges tight and aligned.

**Squeaking sounds from the back of the interior. It is typically one of three things:
1) Loose hatch shock
2) Jack handle rubbing on the jack (place a rag between them)
3) Rubber stoppers between the hatch and body are worn.

**Wearing out the plastic gear for the headlights.(firebirds only) Known fix's: replace the plastic gear, I believe they also make a metal gear for replacement.

**EGR (due to either bad egr valve or in the 3.4 a clogged up passage in the plenum!!)

Last edited by xpbr2000; 06-18-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:42 PM
3.8 v8 eater

oooo i got one for us bird owners....crappy tail lights!!!!! water runs down inside and corroded the sockets...causing them to short. turn signals stop working right and lights go out. i think ive replaced each one like 4 times in the 4 years ive owned it. im thinking about an attractive way to add weatherstripping to keep water out, but dont want to ruin and looks. i.e. dont want it to look ghey!!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Ghost Patrol
LS PLUS Supporting Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirddrvr View Post
oooo i got one for us bird owners....crappy tail lights!!!!! water runs down inside and corroded the sockets...causing them to short. turn signals stop working right and lights go out. i think ive replaced each one like 4 times in the 4 years ive owned it. im thinking about an attractive way to add weatherstripping to keep water out, but dont want to ruin and looks. i.e. dont want it to look ghey!!!!
Silicon time lol
Old 10-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Conservo-Ninja
LS Supporting Member

the front stabalizer links rot and fall off, but that probably happens on most cars....

93 3.4 Firebird
Pacesetter Headers, Flowmaster 80, Comp 1.6 RR, Custom Cam, Cloyes 2x Set, P&P Heads & Intakes, Ram Air Intake, Posi Rear w/3.42's and Disk Brakes, OBD-1 Swap.
Cam and Heads by 60Inclusive.com Tune By Wot-Tech.com
Old 07-04-2011, 07:53 PM
lowtech redneck

Starter failure!!!!!!! I have a 3.4 firebird and driven it every day with no real mechanical problems for around 5 years. Except for the starter. I live in fl and it seems like I burn them up with heat from the exhaust. Mine is 5 speed and I have removed(cut) part of the passenger side engine mount to make enough room for starter removal. Unbolt it and no matter how u turn it, doesn't come out

Also the paint has peeled off the top of the car in a 10 to 12 inch semi circle directly in the middle. Has cracked dash. And driver side door mirror( manual, firebrd) notorious for braking the top bolt of the three. Have replaced mirrors several times. Most arrive in junkyard already broken.

I also have a problem with low oil pressure. Runs around 20 when warm. Lifters tap for about five minutes after starting. 168,000 miles
Old 07-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Resident Asshole

Lower intake manifold gaskets.

Figure I say it before someone else does....LOL
Old 07-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Tree Fidy

Hmmmmm, I'll add my list:

- LIM gaskets, mine
- Coolant elbow, both 3.8s
- Dash pad crack, on every one of them
- Window motors, multiple times on each
- Security light, 3.4
- Tail light delamination, Trans Am
- Pinion seal leaking, mine, 3.4, and chicken
- Rattles, all, but sub frame connectors eliminate most of them.
- Oil pan gasket leaks, all of them besides mine
- Rear main, all of them
- Intake gaskets, both Lt1s
- Opti, both Lt1s
- Quarter panels that dent when the lightest tap hits them, all of them besides the red camaro
- Egr tube clog, 3.4
- 93 to 96 Camaro center console lid, junk
- Weak fiberglass doors, mine, but it wouldn't be that big of an issue if people learned not to slam it shut. Also happened to the chicken, but the whole skin came off when that happened.
- Hatch squeaks, mine, 3.4 replaced the hatch struts and they went away.
- T-top leaks, 3rd gen

I think that's about it though.

The Famiry: 96 3.8 Camaro, 94 3400 swap Chicken 96 3.8 Firechicken, 87 5.0 IRoc, 95 Lt1 swap 3.4 Camaro, 95 Z28, 93 Trans Am RIP

Last edited by 3.8blackmaro; 07-04-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Now back to the good part.
Forum Owner

Mass Air Sensors suck on the 3800 Series II platform

My 2000 Camaro SS/RS Wannabe. Proud non-member of PHK
Old 07-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Tree Fidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonemaro View Post
Mass Air Sensors suck on the 3800 Series II platform
^
Man speaks the truth, mine went a couple years ago, and the chickens just went out. Not really a big deal though, speed density is fine.

The Famiry: 96 3.8 Camaro, 94 3400 swap Chicken 96 3.8 Firechicken, 87 5.0 IRoc, 95 Lt1 swap 3.4 Camaro, 95 Z28, 93 Trans Am RIP
Old 07-05-2011, 07:09 PM
lowtech redneck

Exclamation

Good call on the doors and console lid. Have changed both doors because of outer skins coming loose... People love tograb those windows to swing the door around. Switched to 02 interior and still have no console cover because it also was destroyed.

Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Technical Discussion > General Tech.