Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Rides, Modifications & Racing > How To's
How To's Have a great writeup you would love to have posted? Post it here!

Old 08-19-2008, 01:41 PM

Default Powerdyne Supercharging

Gonna get this out of the way before questions pop up left and right about supercharger kits for our cars

There are no companies that currently make a supercharger kit for our V6 F-Body's. A kit used to be made however in years past by RKSport using a Powerdyne supercharger, but they no longer make this kit. And to my knowledge there has never been a turbo kit manufactured for our cars by any company, though many have fabricated their own setups. If you are looking into supercharging your car you'll need to either a) find a used kit for sale, or b) fabricate your own setup. My current setup is a fabricated setup. It uses a BD11-A Powerdyne unit, and for fuel management I have a 6:1 FMU, but will replacing my current stock injectors with 44.5# injectors and getting rid of the FMU. I also have a Bosche blow off valve.

This is my current setup, you can see the supercharger mounts to the block below the alternator.

From a different angle you can see the bracket that goes around the unit that holds it in place, and two of three mounting points (one is below the supercharger by the oil filter and cant be seen here). These mounting points are made by replacing bolts that are already in the block with two long studs that poke out far enough for the main supercharger bracket, and one Z shaped bracket that bolts to the main bracket.

In this picture you can see the new tensioner pulley that has to be bolted to the block to replace the old tensioner pulley (removed). The serpentine belt is rerouted to provide an "open spot" for the supercharger pulley.

FAQ about going forced induction:

Q: Will I have to get bigger injectors?
A: While upgrading injectors and tuning for them is the better way to go, it is not necessary if you have an FMU, or Fuel Management Unit, which increases the psi of fuel as boost increases. Example being a 6:1 FMU, which increases fuel pressure by 6 pounds for every 1 pound of boost.

Q: Will I have to get a tune?
A: No, but to get the most out of your new forced induction setup you will want to tune for it.

Q: What is the most boost a stock 3800 can handle?
A: Some people are running over 12psi on a tuned, otherwise stock 3800. The key is tuning. Untuned I wouldn't go over 9psi or you may risk underfueling causing lean conditions, which can lead to your engine not lasting as long as it could.

Q: Which is better, turbocharging or supercharging?
A: Depends what you are looking for in your forced induction setup. If you want high psi numbers, don't care much about turbo lag, don't mind expenses, and can handle setting up a turbo system (much more in depth that a supercharger system), then turbocharging may be the way to go for you. On the other hand...if you want instant response, easier installation, only want to stay around 7psi in boost, and want a bit cheaper (still not that cheap though :mrgreen: ) setup, then supercharging may be the way to go for you. If you ask me, it comes down to how much power you want to put down. For big boost go turbo, for lower boost, supercharger.

If I think of anything else I'll be sure to add it

1999 Y87/W68
Old 08-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Ghost Patrol
LS PLUS Supporting Membership

Default Re: Powerdyne Supercharging

This is a great read! This is something I will be doing in the future, so for me I got a lot out of it.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:01 PM

Thanks man, I'll add it to the Wiki.

Could you list the part numbers for your supercharger and other misc. stuff that you had added?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:21 PM

Added that information the the first paragraph for ya. anything else you meant by "stuff that you had added"?

1999 Y87/W68
Old 03-06-2009, 10:49 PM
3.8 v8 eater

just curious but how much do you think you spent on this project? its extremely cool! how does it feed into the TB? i see that you have a hose run from the airbox to the sc, but yeah...like i said how does it get into tb. also, did it mount directly to those studs or did you have to do addition fab work? what did you mean by rerouting the belt? can you clear all this up for me please
Old 03-06-2009, 10:58 PM

I...............want................to............ ...do that!!!!!! I've always thought this type of forced induction was the way to go.

I assume its intercooled?
Mods: SLP Cold Air Intake, Pacesetter headers, catco cat, 3" Borla, PCMforless Tune, Aluminum Driveshaft, Spec Clutch, Proform shifter. Suspension mods: 33mm front sway bar, Tokico Shocks, Z28 Rear sway bar, UMI Panhard Bar.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:50 PM

About your polished tb and intake?? WTF I want one now!
Old 09-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Ghost Patrol

bringing this back for the sake of awesome!!
Old 11-07-2009, 03:21 AM
Ghost Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
bringing this back for the sake of awesome!!
^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Requesting fly-by...

anyone done this on the 3.4 or know of any write ups about it?

Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Rides, Modifications & Racing > How To's