Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Rides, Modifications & Racing > How To's
How To's Have a great writeup you would love to have posted? Post it here!

Old 06-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Tree Fidy

Default How to: 93-97 Ultra Badass Headlight Swap

Alright per Keith's request I'll throw up a write up on the head light swap. Thank Dustin for being the first to do it here. There are really no down sides to this swap. If there's one its that it cost money, but thats about it. There is a write on doing a projector setup HERE on Camaroz28.com. Lemme give credit to Procharged94Lt1 on Camaroz28.com for providing this write up. there are a few differences you will notice as he cut a hole in the radiator support for the projector and didn't cut a lot out out of the header panel or bumper. Dustin and I did ours by cutting the header panel off and trimming bumper cover as you will see.

First up the replacement headlights are from a 88-98 Silverado. There are many many options available for the swap. Most of them can be had for 50 to 60 shipped on Ebay. As far as difficulty its not that bad of a swap although it does involve cutting the front bumper. Procharged94Lt1 on camaroz28.com didn't cut his however Dustin and I opped to cut the bumper for a better fit. Just note that the type of headlight you get is important. standard halogens do not require a hole in the radiator support. the light out from standard halogens are plenty. and a huge improvement over the stock sealed beams. If you would like to get projectors refer to the notes in the link.

Your gonna get the headlights and they're gonna look like this:

As they sit then you won't be able to put them in the car. Your going to need to hack up the mounting bracket a little and the bolts that hold the headlights in the bracket as well. Just look at the pictures and you will be able to see where and how you have to cut them. Dustin cut his pins so he could use a screw driver on them which is better than the way I did it.

Cut the pins about .5" or so from the flange.

look Here as Procharged94Lt1 made a nice photo on where to cut (I've pm'd him for permission to post his photo with the cuts.) edit:Thank you for letting us use these photos

New headlight bracket cuts

driver side assembled to the headlight.

Now that you have the brackets out of the way there are a few ways to do the next step. Dustin took off the bumper which frankly is a bit more precise and does make it a bit easier to mount the brackets. I didn't take off the front bumper and it turned out pretty good as well. Either way its really not that bad to do.

I started by taking out the old headlights to gain access to the bolts which hold the headlight bar on. There are pins on the front bumper that go into the headlight bar that also need to be removed.

You'll need to cut the headlight bar about where its shown in the pic below. Now if you removed the front bumper first you can just pull out the bar, but if you left it on its time to cut the bumper (optional). You can start by marking your line. I used Dustin's pictures to cut my line which for the driver's side was fine, but the passenger side cut was a bit generous. After that you need to pull up the headlight bar and cut it along the notice line, and put it back on. Be sure to make your first cut where you can trim it flush to the headlight later. Don't cut to much, its easier to cut more than to put it back

Cutting the bumper is optional

this cut was too much and left a .25" gap. i suggest cutting a little and trim as needed after you mount the headlights and put the bumper on.

Now you can put in the head light brackets. Pretty simple work. Just use some self tapping sheet metal screws and screw them on. You'll want to set your bumper cover up to the car to find the center of your headlight opening. I used a sharpie to mark the edges of the bracket before i screwed it down. It makes it easy to check.

Now you can slap the bumper back on or you just put the headlights in and try them out. before you make your final cuts to the bumper be sure to aim the lights first. that way you wont have large gaps between the bumper and headlight, mine where way off aim.

Take the car out at night and really enjoy the new found light output.

Pre swap:

Post swap:

Pros:
- Light output multiple times better
- Makes it easier to remove the bumper and clean the air filter or remove it.
- Easy to change the bulbs.

Cons:

- Have to cut your bumper
- $60

The Famiry: 96 3.8 Camaro, 94 3400 swap Chicken 96 3.8 Firechicken, 87 5.0 IRoc, 95 Lt1 swap 3.4 Camaro, 95 Z28, 93 Trans Am RIP

Last edited by xpbr2000; 10-26-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Tree Fidy

Dustin feel free to edit it however you want.

The Famiry: 96 3.8 Camaro, 94 3400 swap Chicken 96 3.8 Firechicken, 87 5.0 IRoc, 95 Lt1 swap 3.4 Camaro, 95 Z28, 93 Trans Am RIP

Last edited by 3.8blackmaro; 06-04-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Droner
LS PLUS Supporting Membership
Administrator

I added a few notes about a cuts on the bumper and header panel. Thanks for putting this together. If anyone has any questions about this feel free to ask.

and a money shot for those who want to know what it looks like rollin down the road

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"

Last edited by xpbr2000; 06-08-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:40 AM
LTZ Turbo

I like it, still don't have the urge to do it myself...lol

an don't forget Dustin was not the 1st, I showed him the link on Camaroz28.com, just don't want to piss nobody off.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 AM

yea. nice headlights. just dont wanna cut my bumper..
Old 06-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Tree Fidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodyrs96 View Post

an don't forget Dustin was not the 1st, I showed him the link on [URL="http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/appearance-34/how-mount-88-98-c-k-truck-headlights-your-93-97-camaro-754516/"Camaroz28.com[/URL], just don't want to piss nobody off.
Ah yes, almost forgot about that one. Credit does go to that guy although he did it quite a bit differently. You swapped the bulbs in yours so yours aren't as awful as they could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcolt17 View Post
yea. nice headlights. just dont wanna cut my bumper..
I find it funny, my step sister says the same thing as have a few others I showed them to. Sad thing is her bumper isnt even painted. Here is how I look at it, one the front bumper is a disposable item. Also this is a safety thing as well. You know how bad our headlights are. I think this is the best thing you can do to these cars dollar for dollar. Red Camaro is next on the list for this.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Droner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodyrs96 View Post

an don't forget Dustin was not the 1st, I showed him the link on Camaroz28.com, just don't want to piss nobody off.
I'll add the link to that right up. his was for projectors also which required a hole in the radiator support. this right up is for standard halogens. and to cut the bumper. IMO that looks better than to try to cram that larger housing between the hood and bumper cover.

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"
Old 06-04-2012, 09:08 AM

yea our heads suck ass. i hate them. if my bumper was bad. i would. but my bumper is good. nice write up btw
Old 06-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Droner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcolt17 View Post
yea our heads suck ass. i hate them. if my bumper was bad. i would. but my bumper is good. nice write up btw
you can do it without cutting the bumper. see the camaroz28.com link he did a projector setup and didn't cut is bumper. I just didn't like trying to cram all that headlight in that hole. makes a lot of other things easier.

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"
Old 06-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Tree Fidy

Yea it seems he just mounted his up a little higher to clear the bumper. I can imagine he is careful when he closes his hood, I know mine are close. Like he said you don't have to cut it the I think it looks better with the cut.

Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Rides, Modifications & Racing > How To's