Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Technical Discussion > Internal Engine
Internal Engine Pistons | Rods | Crankshafts | Rebuilds | Swaps

Old 06-03-2015, 08:54 AM

Default Ticking from Driver Side Valve Cover

My engine has had a ticking sound plaguing it for about 9 months. I have tried using Risoline, gumout, and Seafoam, but none have seemed to change much.. although the Seafoam did improve it for a short time. The ticking will increase as I accelerate, but is steady otherwise. If I remove the valve cover, how do I determine where the ticking is coming from? I was thinking about removing/cleaning the rocker arms and push rods, but I have never done this before, so not sure if it will fix the problem. I saw a video on youtube where a guy sprayed carb cleaner down the tube the pushrods go in, he said it would quiet the lifters, but it's youtube, so it could be terrible advice. Can anyone offer any input? I have never had to take apart the engine like this before, so it feels daunting.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:17 AM
Droner
LS PLUS Supporting Membership
Administrator

just FYI. an Exhaust manifold leak sounds identical to a valve train tap. you may want to try and tighten the manifold bolts.

but if you want to check which lifter might be creating the tap you should get you an automotive stethoscope. Remove the valve cover run the engine at idle (at idle it shouldn't throw much oil anywhere). place the stethoscope on the head of each rocker bolt. the one creating the tap you will hear louder than the others. If they are all the same then its likely the problem is not in the valve train.

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"
Old 06-05-2015, 11:37 AM

I'm putting on new headers this weekend, so if it was a manifold leak, that would make me happy to kill two birds with one stone. If it turns out that is not the case, any thoughts about using carb cleaner to reach the lifters down the pushrod tube? I just changed the oil recently, so I'd rather not put carb cleaner down there if it will cause issues later. Thanks for he advice, btw!
Old 06-05-2015, 04:36 PM
Droner
Administrator

I don't think carb cleaner is going to help find the problem unless i'm missing what it is that youre trying to do.

If its a collapsed lifter then the only solution is to replace them all.

you can also check the rocker bolts and make sure that they are tight. if its a 3.8 they have to be completely torque to spec. the 3.4 have hydraulic lifter which have to be adjusted. idk the procedure.

what motor do you have?

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"
Old 06-09-2015, 10:00 AM

I had a similar issue; change your PCV valve. Mine sounded just like a lifter too before I changed it out.

Cheap enough its worth a shot though.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:56 PM

Ok, so I am getting ready to take off the valve covers along with upper & lower intakes to see what is going on with this ticking sound. I am probably going to replace all the lifters and push rods. I've never done this before, so does anyone have any advice? I eventually want to put a performance cam in it, so I don't know if I should buy better lifters and rods, or if I should just get the oem replacements for now. Also, if anyone knows of any weird roadblocks I might run into while doing this, please give me a heads-up.

Last edited by Neebs; 08-28-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:29 AM
Droner
Administrator

its not hard to do after the upper intake is off. you have so much more room. I'd replace the LIM gasket with the more expensive metal core (aluminum) gasket. its going to last much longer than the plastic ones. if youre doing a cam now would be the time to do it. in order to install a cam you will have to remove the lifters.

but just replaceing the lifters is pretty simple. you can buy hardened pushrods but thats about all there is as far as performance parts. lifters are hydraulic so they dont really have performance replacements. Last i did this OEM lifters were some crazy price. Napa had all the lifters for 10 bucks each.

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"
Old 09-01-2015, 11:39 AM

It looks like Comp Cams has two different types of lifters. I'm not sure if I should go with the more expensive ones, or just go OEM.
http://zzperformance.com/3800/camsha...r-lifters.html
http://zzperformance.com/3800/camsha...7-lifters.html

It looks like the pushrods have a lot of different options as well. I'm not sure what the numbers mean and how much they matter.
http://zzperformance.com/3800/camsha...-pushrods.html

Sorry for the noob questions, I don't know enough about it I guess.

Last edited by Neebs; 09-01-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:30 PM
LTZ Turbo

Ls Are stock replacement lifters.
Comp oe and oe r are performance upgrades, I have oe, just because I got them for $100 shipped new in box, back when the forums weren't dead.

I also have stock push rod length, thicker 7.05 comp rods, because they came with the cam I bought on the grand prix forum. But length will depend on the size of cam you go with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2015, 07:10 PM

Ok, so just get stock pushrods until I put a new cam in??
Also, this car was severely neglected before I got it. If I take the upper and lower intakes off, and it is a crudy mess in there, is there a special way to clean up any gunk that may have accumulated?

Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Technical Discussion > Internal Engine