Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Technical Discussion > Steering/Suspension/Braking/Tires
Steering/Suspension/Braking/Tires Rack and Pinion Tie Rods | LCA's | Springs | Shocks | PHR's | Sway Bars | ABS | Rubbers

Old 08-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Now back to the good part.
Forum Owner

Default Want to Service, Lower or Mod Your F-Body Suspension?

Check out these links. They are very good write-ups and what I used when I did my suspension. It was very easy to do.

FRONT
http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=6

REAR
http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=8

A WRITE UP ON DOING THE LCA RELOCATION BRACKETS
http://www.336media.com/bonemaro/lca.doc

Some say getting the Torx bolts out of the driver's side from under the master cylinder is a pain, but I had no problems at all. Just took the two bolts off, popped it off the outter side and slid it out of the way. Just make sure you don't bend a brake line.

I do recommend that you let a shop mount your springs on the shock assembles. That just made life so much easier for me. The passenger side bolt on the top of the shock seams to be a problem area for rust.

My 2000 Camaro SS/RS Wannabe. Proud non-member of PHK
Old 02-01-2012, 12:17 AM

Any problem with exhaust clearance after an eibach pro kit?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Tree Fidy

Depends on what kind of obstacles you have to deal with.

The Famiry: 96 3.8 Camaro, 94 3400 swap Chicken 96 3.8 Firechicken, 87 5.0 IRoc, 95 Lt1 swap 3.4 Camaro, 95 Z28, 93 Trans Am RIP
Old 02-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Phantom 207
LS Supporting Member

I have the pro kit on mine, you do need to watch for whats goin under your car. My exhaust is purdy much trash after i ran over something on the interstate, but its not to bad.

3.4L with some goodies
custom paint with a touch of 1978
http://www.v6f-body.com/showthread.php?t=3065
Old 02-01-2012, 01:19 AM
Tree Fidy

I have the pro kit as well and as long as your careful you should be fine.

The Famiry: 96 3.8 Camaro, 94 3400 swap Chicken 96 3.8 Firechicken, 87 5.0 IRoc, 95 Lt1 swap 3.4 Camaro, 95 Z28, 93 Trans Am RIP
Old 02-01-2012, 12:36 PM

Awesome thanks for the replies
Old 07-17-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8blackmaro View Post
I have the pro kit as well and as long as your careful you should be fine.
What about tire width? I have 8.5 inch all around and I'm worried about the front not having enough room.

2001 Pontiac Firebird: Project car
1996 Mercedes-Benz: Daily
Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Now back to the good part.
Forum Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerogear View Post
What about tire width? I have 8.5 inch all around and I'm worried about the front not having enough room.
So do I and I'm dropped 2". No problems at all. No problems with 9.5's either for that matter.

My 2000 Camaro SS/RS Wannabe. Proud non-member of PHK
Old 04-27-2014, 10:36 PM

I read those LS1 How to's dozens of times in the last few weeks and while doing my suspension, and it was a huge help. I do have some tips though that weren't covered, but can really help someone that is going to be doing this.

If you buy MOOG K6573, which are the coil spring insulators (dog bone), it comes with 2 bolts and 2 nuts per insulator. Wasn't sure what these went to, but it ends up being new hardware to mount the shock mount from the engine bay side. It replaces the T50 torx heads under the master cylinder, which is very nice because you just need a 17mm wrench to tighten them.

Also for getting those T50 out in the first place, I unbolted the 2 nuts that hold the master cylinder on, but that wasn't enough to scooch it, so i loosened the 2 nuts that hold the thing that the main brake lines run to. Sorry, i cannot think of what it is, that splits the brake lines into the 4 lines, one for each wheel. Once that was loosened, I was able to move that and the master cylinder inward enough to gain access to the T50.

If you don't buy 100% of the hardware to assemble your front shocks, aka you are reusing some of the stuff whether its the dust boot, spring perch, mounts, etc.. Disassemble one, assemble it on the new shock, and then take the OTHER side shock off, and hold the new one up to the other side to align the bottom shock holes to the top mount holes. As long as you are pretty close, you can wiggle it in during installation.

I just rented a spring compressor from autozone, was pretty simple. Took ALOT of wrenching to get the stock springs compressed enough to get everything disassembled, but putting the BMR springs on was really easy. They were considerably shorted, so I was able to thread the top nut on without compressing it. But only had to compress them a few turns to tighten everything in securely.

I imagine I will think of some other stuff and probably add/edit. Hope this helps

2002 35th Anniversary Camaro
SLP CAI&Lid, filter, and ZZP baffle delete
32/19 WS6 Sway bars w/ poly bushings, BMR STB
C5 Y2K wheels WS6 hood. Full LED swap
Old 05-28-2014, 10:31 PM

I heard there may be fitment issues with MOOG mounts. Has anyone encountered issues with mounts from other manufacturers? I know they cost quite a bit more but the AC Delco mounts (Left - #19294094, Right - #19294094) and Strut Bearing Plate Insulator (#19294096) were recommended to me in order to ensure correct fit.

Has anyone also installed a coil spring insulator inside the spring seat? My Konis have the spring seat already installed but no insulator so I am considering the Monroe kit (RockAuto part #904962) in order to get the insulator. It looks to be shaped to conform to the end of the spring coil.

My intent is to make 2 new complete front shock/spring assemblies so I can keep the OEM intact for easier reinstallation in the event I need to return to stock height.

Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Technical Discussion > Steering/Suspension/Braking/Tires